In keeping with the spirit of Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d list some books I love.
I’ve selected my top 10 classics (written prior to 1964) and my top 10 modern works (post 1964). I truly went with my initial books that popped into my head and tried very hard to sub other books in or over-analyze.
Here we go!
Top Ten Classics:
1) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
2) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3) Bleak House by Charles Dickens
4) Middlemarch by George Eliot
5) The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
6) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
7) Villette by Charlotte Bronte
8) The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
9) Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu
10) I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Top Ten Modern Works:
1) The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman
2) The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
3) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
4) Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
5) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
6) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
7) The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter
8) The Secret History by Donna Tartt
9) The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
10) Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
I think it is safe to say that I love fat books. I’m a chunky book chaser!
How about you? What books do you love?