Do any of y’all recall doing this 101 things in 1001 days a while back? I started out with good intentions and a few weeks after constructing the list I started dating Sam and lost my brain. I never went back to the list. The idea of having focus and goals still greatly appeals to me, so I decided to create a new challenge for myself (one I have every intention of completing).
So I declare May 31st to September 6th my Summer of Creating. A whole 99 days to do things I love. All kinds of creating; not only will I be making and baking, but I plan on creating new memories, more order, and a larger list of books read.
Here is how I divided things out:
- I picked several areas to work on: Baking and Cooking, Crafts, Embroidery, Home, Reading and Books, Sewing, Yarn, Other. Other is a big honkin’ catch-all category.
- Each category was written on a separate page in a lovely Liberty of London notebook.
- In addition, I have a page for each day to write about how I’m working towards my goal.
- Expect semi-regular updates on Ye Olde Blog.
So why am I doing this?
- No money and cable to help me waste my time.
- Hope is gone to Grandma’s part of the week and I find myself listless and bored
- This is the last summer before Atticus gets here. I want to make it count.
On to the Projects!
- Baking and Cooking: make 5 recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking / make a sourdough starter and sourdough bread / bake 5 different yeast breads / bake 10 different quick breads and muffins / 5 new scone recipes / try 25 new dinner recipes / bake biscotti / bake 3 pies / bake 5 cakes or cupcakes / bake 10 cookies / make 7 fabulously fancy desserts / make 30 dinners for the freezer for when Atticus gets here / 1 traditional Indian meal / 1 traditional Thai meal
- Crafts: organize craft lair / bunting for Hope’s room / bunting for Atticus’ room / potato printing / build a birdhouse / make note cards / decoupage some stuff / paper garlands / felt flowers / felt pins / make candles / try origami / make paper / funky spray paint thrift store junk / make bird feeder
- Embroidery: make 3 things for friends / make 3 things for family / sign for work / sign for front door . library card banner / finish doodle cloth / tea towels for kitchen / embroider a tattoo doll for Hope
- Home: obtain baby furniture from Craig’s list / fancy-up and fix the nursery / paint 5 pieces of furniture / paint my bedroom / paint hallway / finish unpacking / some how add pizazz to kitchen cupboards / get rid of flea infestation*
- Reading and Books: 10 library trips / 5 bookstore trips / increase my Virago, Persephone, and NYRB collection / read 4 graphic novels / read 2 essay collections / read 5 short story collections / read 4 non-fiction books / read 30 fiction books / read The Neverending Story to Hope / update my book challenge lists / listen to 3 audio books
- Sewing: sew an apron / learn to quilt / curtains for the living room / curtains for the kitchen / curtains for nursery / curtains for Hope’s room / recover rocker / curtains for my room / curtains for french doors / baby booties / throw pillows / pin cushion / place mats and napkins / duvet cover / doll or stuffed animal / doll bedding / American Girl Doll clothes / tea cozy / quilt for Hope / quilt for Atticus
- Yarn: blanket for Atticus / blanket for couch / learn to make amigurumi / 3 hats / 3 scarves / baby bib / baby sweater / booties / American Girl Doll scarves and hats
- Other: file adoption papers by the end of June / pay off remaining credit card debt / pay off one medical bill / increase savings by $1,000 / spruce up blog / 75 blog posts / 12 farmer’s market trips / watch 25 movies / 5 thrifting expeditions / strawberry picking / take Hope on 5 day trips / 7 “real” dates with Sam / organize and update photo albums / write 12 letters / 50 journal entries / 7 dinners or craftapaloozas with friends / start an herb garden / try canning / Beau to the vet / 5 pool trips / go to a concert / transfer and update renter’s insurance / order new checks / visit grandparents
Whew! I want to all know that as I was typing this out I added in a ton more things. If anyone would like to join in the fun let me know. For now, I’m shutting down the computer and I’m going to go create something.
* yes, a flea infestation. A week into living at our new home and we are ridden with fleas. I’m hiding out at my mom’s house until the exterminator can come out on Tuesday.